I am a huge proponent for getting kids outside and developing their relationship with nature. Now, the Missouri Department of Conservation offers a great way for you to get the kids out and have some family fun, all while introducing kids to the outdoors and conservation. Kids Fishing Days are created to help families and groups learn about fish, important fish habitat, conservation and fishing techniques. At many of these Kids Fishing Days, the program provides fishing equipment, bait and instruction, so all you need to supply are the kids and a spirit of adventure. Some even supply lunch, just in case you don't get a "wiggler" on the line.
Hopefully a fun day spent with you trying to land a monster fish will turn into more fun days with you outdoors, enjoying even more that our state has to offer. Who knows, it may even lead to you all exploring one of our great Missouri trails!
- Maramec Spring Trout Park in St. James, MO: Saturday, May 17
- Free hotdogs and soda for lunch
- Goodie bags for all participants
- Entire upper portion is reserved for kids 15 and under
- Rainbow trout will be restocked during the event
- Contests and activities all day long for prizes and awards
- The day lasts from 6:30 a.m. - 8:15 p.m.
- Roaring River State Park in Cassville, MO: Saturday, May 17
- Free hotdogs, chips and soda for lunch. 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Seminars on fish cleaning, fish cooking, knife sharpening, knot tying , fly tying, stream biology, fly casting, how to fish Roaring River and more.
- Kids 15 and under receive a free trout tag and a portion of the park will be reserved just for them to fish
- Roaring Rivers State Park also features seven hiking trails... Just sayin'...
- Kellogg Lake Park in Carthage, MO: Saturday, June 7
- Registration begins at 8 a.m. at the pavilion.
- Limited poles available, so attendees are encouraged to bring their own poles
- Bait will be provided
- Learn how to cast a fly rod and much more
- Refreshments and prizes available
- Shepard of the Hills Fish Hatchery in Branson, MO: Saturday, June 7
- Free performance at noon by the "Fishin' Magicians"
- Free Goodie Bags for kids 15 and under
- Learn how to tie knots, cook fish, bait and fly cast, ethical fishing, how to rig up a pole and more
- Limited number of poles will be available, so you may want to bring your own to avoid waiting
Also if you're lucky enough to live near the Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center they have a pond that is reserved for children 15 and under all the time. They will even provide a fishing pole and bait for your child to fish with, available at the front desk, and that's each and every day while the Nature Center is open.
Wishing you good luck, sunken bobbers, and many happy trails.
For More Information:Kids Fishing Day Homepage on MDC.mo.gov
Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center
The Fishin' Magicians